Page
of 5

Grinding Ginger: the Journal of Alexandra Rest

40 replies
Votes:
+89
Feb 1st 2014

For the first time since DC I've got a place by myself that isn't a hellhole. Check it! I'm in Hyde Park, Tampa, baby! Ain't I posh?

I've been tweeting pics at Rye all afternoon to make her jealous. I could've lived in Manhattan like she does, but I think, for once in my life, I made a wise decision by requesting Tampa. Lower cost of living, no state income tax—not that I'd do those anyway—and much better weather. Seriously, this place costs half what Rye pays and is twice the size.

Which ain't that big.

I think I'm gonna get a Kindle or Nook or iPad. Something. The bookshelf—yes, singular—has just enough room for my travel journals, I think. Still have to get them out of storage. Probably do that Monday when I leave work. The point is, now that I've got a place of my own, where's a girl to store her books?

Think I'll hit Ybor City tonight, see if I can get a hold of Xio and Cris, if'n they ain't scared of me. Who knows what the Feds told em. Course, not like I'd deny it. We'll see what they think.
1392508654_Alex-signature.jpg
Posted Feb 3, 14 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+89
Feb 2nd 2014

Good. Damn. Call.

Managed to track down Xio and Cris after a couple hours last night. They actually missed me. That's a first.

Please God don't ever let me run into Felicia....

After their shifts ended, we hit the clubs and closed the bars. Since we were in Ybor, I went over to their place...

...and learned that Cris totes had a girl-crush on me! Ain't that cute? Funny story since I used to live with them, but she never told me because of Xio. Now that there were only two beds in the place, I got to crash with Cris...

...and greet the sun. Oh. Yeah. Girl's got talent.

Slump busted in a good way, but we slept till 4. Dunno how Cris is planning to explain that to Xio. As for this bitch, quick stop at the apartment and off to Hooters for the Super Bowl.
Posted Feb 3, 14 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+89
February 3rd, 2014

Ha! I love it when a plan comes together!

Especially when I wasn't planning anything.

Joseph joined us at Hooters for the Super Bowl. He looked soooo out of place, it was adorable. Kept asking me questions about football that I just let Manny answer. Although I sorta mentioned the final score was like 7 goals to 1 by way of rugby-like scoring.

High five to me for understanding Brit sports.

Xio and Cris flirted with him so hard I thought he was gonna forget my shameful ways. After the party, the four of us went back to my place and I showed them around. Xio and Cris toddled off after midnight—Cris is so cute about hiding what happened last night when Xio was flirting with her all night—but Joseph hung out "for a bit."

So, he's sleeping on my couch tonight. That's something, right?

"Thank you Alex.... I know you wont over tempt me... At least not right away..." Yeah. He said that. It's like he doesn't actually know me or something! Like the part where I casually left my bedroom door open. Should I sleep naked? It's 75 in here after all.

Whatever the case, I've already decided on the wet look for my hair in the morning, to go with my panties and men's button-down shirt look while making breakfast. A girl's gotta flaunt the long legs sometime.
Posted Feb 3, 14 · OP · Last edited Feb 5, 14
List
Undo
Votes:
+89
February 4th, 2014

The boy's got discipline, I'll give him that. I turned on the full charms, even wrapped my legs around him and played with my breakfast sausage, and still he resisted.

Kinda taking it personal....

Says he's still dealing with his feelings for Els of all things. Could've sworn she's been with her current man for forever now, so....

Whatever. Slowly but surely, I'm breaking him down. Heard him muttering about needing a cold shower as he left. For my part, I went with a hot bath.

Ran late for work this morning because of him....

Where was I? Oh, right....

Rye's coming on Wednesday and is even gonna spend the night. That was easier than I expected. I told her I wouldn't give her the Joseph treatment unless she wanted. Maybe I can get her to give me the Joseph treatment.

God knows I wouldn't mind wrapping her legs around my face....

Where was I? Oh, right....

I finally did that shopping I was supposed to! Got a Kindle Fire and I'm downloading a ton of public domain books for it now. Picked up Firefly box set along with Serenity. Think I'll just rely on cable till I figure out what else to buy. Also got my stuff out of storage, for all that's worth. I think I might want to keep a locker in Ealdwic to change into more London-appropriate clothing when I'm there. At least in NY the Agartha portal's in the same building as work.

Speaking of London, total waste tonight. No one at the HG and I didn't feel like dealing with Crusades, so I came home early.

I wonder if Cristina wants to drop by after work....
Posted Feb 4, 14 · OP · Last edited Feb 4, 14
List
Undo
Votes:
+89
February 5th, 2014

Trying to write quietly by moonlight from the window because Joseph's sleeping.

I said he had discipline, not that he had ALL the discipline.

I texted him last night before bed: "Don't forget to dream of me and all the things I didn't do to you this morning." He texted back: "Women i am about ready to come over there and do all those things to you. So be careful what you taunt me with."

Naturally, I sent him a selfie to remind him who he's dealing with.

It seems that was enough. We made arrangements to watch the Joss Whedon version of Much Ado About Nothing at my place. (Is it weird that I just italicized a handwritten title? Is that weird? Is it weird that I'm asking myself questions in parentheses in my private journal? No. I knew I liked you for a reason.) All he had to do was bring the red wine. He brought two bottles, we talked, he said some awkward things, I showed him what a tongue's for.

Yeah, we kinda had to play the movie twice. Totes worth it. It's been too long since I did a guy, and I managed to pick well once again.

I also sent the selfie to Rye. Thank goodness I was clothed!

Cause, y'know, I care so much about that. Let her know what she's missing too....

She's coming over tomorrow—well, today, now. I'm so looking forward to our girl time. I get the feeling things aren't going well with her boy toy, so hopefully the girl time will help. Much as I want to entangle myself with her, I want her to be happy too. She's the closest thing I've had to a friend in forever. Even when I lived with Felicia or with Xio and Cris I couldn't really fully be me.

Well, that's not true. None of them rolled on me when the feds came calling, but that doesn't mean they would've felt comfortable with what I'd done. Especially to that bitch in Alexandria. I doubt Rye's all that comfortable with the knowledge, but she also isn't going to judge me the way someone not from this life will. She knows what it's like to survive.

Wonder if she'll be bothered if I kidney stab the boy toy if he breaks her heart?

Aaaaand Joseph's waking up. Time to send him back to sleep.
Posted Feb 5, 14 · OP · Last edited Feb 5, 14
List
Undo
Votes:
+89
February 5th 2014

Rye's in the shower, so I figure I'll do my journal entry while I wait. I reckon I'll be pretty tired by the time we get back.

Joseph woke me this morning. A bit of payback. Who knew he had it in him? Then he made me breakfast and left. I was like a frickin 13-year old girl then. "Why did he leave so quickly? Was it something I said? Was he using me? Did I do something wrong?" Turns out he was late for work.

Totally put "made Templar late for work" on my minutes this morning.

Today's been great, hanging with Rye on "my turf" now. Funny to say that since I'm from Manhattan where she lives and in the year I lived in Tampa before, I never had the money to shop in Hyde Park and SoHo. The difference a couple of years makes.

I find that I'm not as hardass as I thought I was. Rye mentioned that she's done coke three times since New Year's and I pretty much lost my shit at her. She says she's fine because it's not the stuff she's addicted to and she's totally got rules and stuff. Whatever. That'd be like turning me loose in a brothel and telling me I can look but not touch. Riiiight.

Seems I was right about the boy toy too. I offered to give him a kidney operation, but she doesn't seem to think she has enough claim to him to justify that. Like I care. He breaks her heart, dude's got it coming.

Of course, it's funny. Rye's problem in my humble psychiatric evaluation is that she hasn't communicated to Wills what it is she wants. Subconciously, I know I'm at a risk because I haven't communicated to Cris or Joseph what I don't want. I think I was pretty clear on what I want though. Hopefully they both can keep their heads about me, so mommy doesn't have to shank a bitch.

Gonna hit Club Prana tonight. I'm trying to sell Rye on coming back on Saturday when the place'll really be popping. We'll see. Gonna introduce her to Cris and Xio too. Dunno if she can handle that much cute and flirty at once.
Posted Feb 6, 14 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+89
February 6th, 2014

What is it about Oreos that is like the universal language of women? The night before my mom got arrested, we sat on the couch watching Serenity and eating Oreos. Tonight, I'm sitting on my couch, watching Serenity and eating Oreos.

And life is good again.

It's been a good and busy week so far, so I decided to take tonight off. Rye's gone back and Joseph's out of town or something. I could've reached out to Xio and Cris, but eh.

Oh, yeah. Cris and Xio played me. The whole thing about Cris totally wanting to do me but not telling me because of Xio was a lie: they're doing each other! What. The. Actual. Hell? I knew Xio was flirty just in general, but I always figured she was a tease like Rye. Nope. Chick's totally bi. Just like Cris.

And me. But I already knew that. I learned about them when they flagrantly made out in front of me and Rye at Club Prana last night. Whatever.

I called dibs on Xio. Gotta catch em all.

It was fun to go in as VIPs and have those two look at us all star-struck. I sure as hell couldn't afford a night like last night during my first time around in Tampa. Hell, I may have spent more on clothes and partying yesterday than I have in the last year.

Rye has that effect.

It was a great night, even with Rye still stressing about this dude. I really wish I'd had a chance to give him the speech about his kidneys before now. I'll have to add that to my to-do list.

Today, Rye and I went gator-searching, which really just involved driving till I found a canal. Voila. Gator. Seriously, the girl's such a city girl. After that, Clearwater Beach and bikinis, which pleased me, and then dinner at Loving Hut.

I should probably point out that I've got beef jerky with me in addition to the Oreos. I love my vegan friend, but a whole restaurant dedicated to vegan food.... I've been there, done that before, when Felicia went on her vegan kick, so I knew to avoid any food that actually had the word 'vegan' in the ingredients.

Vegan 'cheese.' Never again.

I also knew to avoid tofu. That stuff is nasty. So I had a salad roll app and a salad wrap entree.

And now beef jerky.

Life is good.
Posted Feb 8, 14 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+89
February 8th, 2014

Writing from Rye's bed tonight. With Rye in it!

It was only a matter of time.

Sadly, it isn't the way I would've wanted it, but I take what I can get. Rather than devouring her to my heart's content, we're eating Oreos and watching Jurassic Park.

Yeah. Boy trouble.

She broke up with the boy toy today, who shall now be known as douche toy. I sorta knew it was coming since he wasn't spending time with her and she didn't feel like he thought of her when she wasn't around. I can get that. Even I like to think my friends with benefits think of me from time to time.

And they do. They dream of me.

So we were at the Crusades when she told me. I consoled her, she got drunk, and then he replied to her breakup tweets.

What. A. Douche. Seriously, dude led with 'bummer' and used 'lol' TWICE in his replies. Like, this girl really digs me but is breaking up with me because I've got the emotional maturity of a 14 year old jock.

I think I've unlocked kidney-stabbing privileges.

So, yeah, that's when it turned ugly. Rye screamed a little at the bar, made an angry public tweet or two, and then threw her drink on to the dance floor.

First cleaning it's had in months probably.

I hugged her and tried to convince her to let me take her home then, but she sprinted—seriously, I've never seen a woman run that fast in heels and an LBD—to the bathroom and puked her guts out.

God that was such a turn-on.

I held her hair till she was done and then helped her wash off the makeup and even gave her a stick of gum, because I was prepared. Or just really like chewing gum while kicking ass. Probably that.

And here we are.

Might even get to cuddle her to sleep.
Posted Feb 8, 14 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+89
February 9th, 2014

Busy day, but less busy than I expected. Decided not to go to the Sant'Yago Knight Parade or Club Prana tonight. Would've been nice, but just wasn't in the mood after spending the night and early afternoon trying to cheer Rye up. Made her breakfast, which she seemed to like well enough. Eventually, though, she needed time alone, and I get that.

As for my alone time, I decided to put in some work today. For the first time I went into the field using a sword. Wish I could use knives for most of my field work besides the wet work stuff, but those things just don't have the same number of weak points as humans. I've been practicing with the sword for some time, but my wrist wasn't strong enough for what I needed. Funny how little wrist strength it takes to work a knife.

So sword and chaos magic: holy hell, why didn't I try this sooner? So much easier than using elementalism and blood magic. I guess I'll leave the lightning to Rye. The moral of the story is I am so much less fragile than I thought. Sword is the way for me.

In other news, I managed to get bumped to a higher pay bracket. So that's something. I finally decided to ask Geary if we could work something out about the early release of my mother.

She handled it in her usual mature way.

I've arranged through my other connections at HQ to meet with my mom some time this week. A private meeting without cameras or guards or lawyers. I don't know when I'll go, because, honestly, the whole thing makes me nervous. I don't think she'll be upset with who I've become, but, at the same time, I kinda killed her husband.... Even if he was being a prick as far as she's concerned.

Calling it a night, flying solo. HG and Crusades were pretty much empty by the time I got there. I'll check on Rye again tomorrow and continue to persecute Joseph for choosing a park to me.

It's what I do.
Posted Feb 9, 14 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+89
February 10th, 2014

Sometimes I really hate symmetry. This weekend was full of it.

On Friday night, I consoled Rye as she cried in the bathroom at the Crusades. Tonight, I cried in the bathroom at the Crusades.

Like a little bitch.

I hate that I got so emotional, but I suppose it's only time I admitted I'm not as cold as I try to be. Not that the company hasn't already figured that out. Probably some lower tier punk thinks he's gonna try to make something of it. Whatever. I only need two kills to qualify for the Magician test.

Rye got attacked by vampires today. Yeah, but not in Romania. In London. They told her they had some kind of investigation they needed help with and led her away like real people, and then they lured her into an alley, took her phone, and stuck a needle in her veins. Joseph texts me little later says, "Thanks for the heads up (for texting him)" because he thinks those girls might be vampires.

SERIOUSLY?

No damn priorities.

So I get up and head over trying to be casual while my heart's beating like crazy and see these bitches licking blood off her arm. I ask what's going on and Rye calls for my help. Knives are drawn, unkind words are exchanged, and for some stupid reason I let them live.

Afterward I find out that not only did Joseph know they were vampires, so did Salem. WHY DOES NO ONE EVER LEAD WITH THIS STUFF?

One of em gave me a bottle of wine to give Rye. Like that was gonna happen. Might tell her about it next time she's over, but whatever. That one's name was Alex. For. Real. Other's name was Oubliette, who apparently nearly got her head taken off by Joseph when she said she'd "turned Alex."

I LOLed.

Not really. I was shaky as shit. Joseph, Rye, and I ended up at the Crusades not long after because where better to avoid vampires than in Darkside.

See, that's another thing. It wasn't in Darkside they did this. The vamps there are refugees and we tolerate em. This happened right outside the God!

Anyway, took a shot of absinthe care of Joseph—I should probably have cut him for that—and then walked off casually to the bathroom to cry. In a stall.

Like a little bitch.

Three different people came to check on me, starting with this Amy Tolliver chick I only ever seen before on Twitter. Then Joseph—Dude, no! I'm not gonna talk to you in the bathroom!—then Rye. I dreaded her coming to talk to me because I suck at lying to her. Fortunately she didn't ask me anything interesting. Still sucks.

She gave me a hug and I broke down again.

Like a little bitch.

It's silly. They couldn't've killed her. Not permanently. And that'd've just sent the whole company after them, if not the whole of Ealdwic. They could've made her a blood doll, which...she acts like it'd be no big thing, but...if they're anything like the Romanian vamps, it doesn't stop at drinking blood. She said, "I've been through worse." Does that mean...?

No, I'm not thinking about it. Not thinking about it. Dammit, I'm thinking about it and I want to harm people.

It's dumb of us to be friends. We're compromised. Vulnerable. Something happens to her, I might fall to pieces—after exacting revenge. What if something happened to me? Why the hell do I care what she feels if something happens to me?

When did I start caring about anyone else...?

So that was tonight. Here I am now eating friggin Oreos and watching Pitch Perfect.

Like a little bitch.
Posted Feb 10, 14 · OP
List
Undo
Page
of 5
Latest Posts
NoticeNotices