How Do I Talk to other RPers in game?

5 replies
Votes:
+1,583
In-Game Chat Channels

In order to chat with your fellow RPers you should add the IC and OC channels.

/chat join IC
/chat join OOC

The In Character channel (IC) is a common voice-video-text comms channel which has been set up as a subset of the primary Council of Venice com channels. It accepts input from text, SMS, telephones, webcams, and Facetime.

You really should also join:

/chat join Sanctuary (for friendly TSW help and advice, normal dungeons, and chat)
/chat join Event (for events)
/chat join Noobmares (very kind help with end-game / "Nightmare" dungeons)

Here's the easy way to make a little file that automagically logs you into OOC and IC.

Download the two files at the bottom of this mesage

auto_teleport
auto_login

Make sure to rename them as needed

If they got renamed "auto-teleport_[string of numbers]" and "auto-login_[string of numbers]" when you downloaded them, right click on them and rename them to

auto_teleport
auto_login

Some computers may change the file extension to .txt
If the file shows up and the icon looks like a text file of some sort, you must set your computer to show file extensions and then remove the .txt extension.

- Choose Tools, then Folder Options. Switch to the View tab. Scroll down and uncheck "hide extensions for known filetypes." Hit apply/okay, and you will see the .txt file extensions in the main folder view

- Just click on them, rename them, and delete the '.txt'.

Save the files to

\Funcom\The Secret World\Scripts

Go to the directory for The Secret World (on my machine it's C:\Program Files\Funcom\The Secret World, but every computer is different). Create a subdirectory (a new folder) called "Scripts" if there isn't one there already.

scripts01.gif

Now you will ALWAYS be logged into the chat channels. (Noobmares, Sanctuary, Event, IC, and OOC.)

BE SURE to hit the + in the upper right corner of your chat window and put these channels on seperate tabs.

If you want to add or remove a channel, edit the files using Notepad or a text editor to remove existing channels or add new channels.

Add the chat channels to your chat box

Hit the + sign at the top right of your chat box and add the new channels.

HOW DO I?

Join this website
Display A Faction Tag
Get Started In TSW
Choose a server
Pick The Right Secret Society
Find Role-play In TSW
Write a good character background
Find something to do
Talk to other RPers in game
Talk to other RPers out of game
Find A Cabal
Use the TSW-RP Wiki
Attached Files
You must login to download files.

cicileus at gmail dot com
Posted May 27, 14 · OP · Last edited Nov 5, 15
List
Undo
Votes:
+150
Phoenician
I had to use this to get my new computer up and running with scripts, but it wouldn't work. I knew there was a step missing so I had to look at the old guide.
wrote:
3) Save the file as auto_login.txt

4) Change the filename to auto_login

IF YOU DO NOT SEE THE .TXT EXTENSION;

- Choose Tools, then Folder Options. Switch to the View tab. Scroll down and uncheck "hide extensions for known filetypes." Hit apply/okay, and you will see the .txt file extensions in the main folder view

- Just click on them, rename them, and delete the '.txt'.

I'm not sure if your download was supposed to exclude that part but it comes as a txt and it needs to be deleted before it works. o.o
Join the Phoenicians!

Want to see my characters? Click!
Posted Nov 5, 15
List
Undo
Votes:
+1,583
I'm not sure if your download was supposed to exclude that part but it comes as a txt and it needs to be deleted before it works. o.o

Hmm... I just tried redownloading the file, and it came as just auto_login, but you know what, maybe your OS is a little different and automagically renames them. I'll add that text back to the guide. Thanks for letting me know.

cc
cicileus at gmail dot com
Posted Nov 5, 15 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+150
Phoenician
wrote:

Hmm... I just tried redownloading the file, and it came as just auto_login, but you know what, maybe your OS is a little different and automagically renames them. I'll add that text back to the guide. Thanks for letting me know.

cc

I'm not sure but I am on Windows 10 (came with the computer) so maybe. But it works fine after deleting the .txt. I did try DLing it a second time to check it out, but it still comes at a .txt so it could just be that.
Join the Phoenicians!

Want to see my characters? Click!
Posted Nov 6, 15
Votes:
Question: what if I have the Steam version of the game? Do I need to redownload to use these scripts?
Posted Mar 19, 17
Janilyn ao
Votes:
+350
Site Staff
You can completely bypass Steam and just run the game from the TSW patcher, once the game is installed. I don't know anything about the pluses and minuses, since I don't use Steam, but I've seen others recommend against running it via Steam. The scripts will work the same regardless.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Scarlet and Cross Institute
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Janilyn
Farnesworth (@B_Farnes : IC Twitter)
Nothing's ever yours to keep (Tom Waits)
Posted Mar 20, 17 · Last edited Mar 20, 17
Latest Posts
NoticeNotices